Cake. It's the best, especially when it's easy to make! We love this Berry Lemon Poke Cake recipe for family celebrations, field meals on a hot summer day, and birthdays. You can use any favorite cake recipe or a pre-made mix! The Lemon Jell-O keeps it moist and our fruit spread and whipped cream frosting isn’t overly sweet. Our kids like to help by mixing everything up and poking holes in the cooled cake for the lemon Jell-O to soak into. Yes, it sounds weird...but the Jell-O part of this recipe is what makes it so great for a summer treat! Another good combination for this recipe could be a chocolate cake mix with Raspberry Jell-O and Blackberry Aronia Lavender Fruit Spread! Try mixing and matching and let us know what you come up with.
Berry Lemon Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 box Vanilla Cake Mix (or your favorite homemade vanilla cake recipe)
- 3 oz Lemon Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 jar Raspberry Marionberry Fruit Spread
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Bake cake mix according to directions. Let it cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes.
- Using a chopstick, or straw, poke holes across the top of the cake, about 1 inch apart.
- Mix Jell-O with boiling water, stirring quickly until fully dissolved. Very slowly pour the mixture across the cake, giving it time to soak into the poked holes.
- Spread jar of Raspberry Marionberry Fruit Spread evenly across the top of the cake (hint: this works easier if the fruit spread is at room temperature and well stirred). Chill cake in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- While the cake is cooling, beat the sugar and whipping cream together, until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream topping over the cake.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream and store in the refrigerator!
Laura and Mike – This is just what I have been looking for to serve at our next big B-B-Q. I can’t wait to make it….
GLENDA PURVINE on