July may be National Ice Cream Month! But, WHY WAIT! Homemade vanilla ice cream is swirled with our Aronia-Haskap Fruit Spread, is the BEST. Truly, you could use any of our fruit spreads and this recipe would turn out to be just plain awesome…So, enjoy our homemade vanilla berry swirl ice cream recipe and let us know what kind of fruit spread you end up using. We'd love to hear from you!
- 1 ½ cups half & half
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons Savory Spice Vanilla Bean Paste
- ½ jar Mt. Hope Farms’ Fruit Spread (any variety will do, but we suggest Aronia-Haskap or Raspberry-Marionberry)
- Follow your ice cream maker’s directions, but remember to put the freezer bowl in your freezer the night before, to make sure it’s plenty frozen enough. When this recipe hasn't turned out, it's a result of us not having things cold enough (and that's a huge bummer!)
- Using a mixer on low speed, combine the sugar and half & half until the sugar is fully dissolved. Chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Gently stir the whipping cream and vanilla bean paste into the half & half mixture and transfer into the ice cream maker freezer bowl.
- Turn the ice cream maker on and let mix until slightly thickened (for us, it was about 18 minutes). While the machine is churning, and you're waiting for the ice cream to thicken, spoon half a jar of fruit spread into a bowl and stir to loosen the consistency. Set aside at room temperature.
- When the ice cream mixture has started to slightly thicken and the machine is churning, slowly add the fruit spread, one Tablespoon at a time to avoid clumping. Allow the machine to churn until the 25 minute mark. This will help the fruit spread swirl throughout the ice cream.
- Remove the slightly thickened ice cream from the freezer bowl and place in a separate container. Freeze immediately (we had to leave ours in the freezer overnight to fully harden and get to the right consistency).
- Serve with remaining fruit spread on top and enjoy!
Note: we used a Cuisinart 2 quart ice cream maker, which can be found here.