Let's make brunch plans! When you have ham...you make sandwiches. Right? At least, that's what our family does. Buttery, warm and just the right mix of savory with the sweet-tart Raspberry Marionberry dipping sauce...these fry up beautifully and can be reheated in a pan if needed.
Tip: To prep sandwiches ahead of time (say you have a busy morning planned), fill the sandwiches with the ham and cheese, then wrap those in a foil. The dipping 'sauce' can also be prepped and covered. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days. Once you are ready to eat, dip the sandwiches in the egg and milk mixture, fry in butter and enjoy.
Raspberry Marionberry Monte Cristo Sandwich
Ingredients - makes 1 sandwich
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 slices thick bread
- 2-3 slices swiss cheese
- 3-4 slices honey ham
- Butter, to fry
- Raspberry Marionberry Fruit Spread, to dip
- In a shallow bowl big enough for a sandwich, whisk together the egg and milk. In another small bowl, whisk together your desired amount of Raspberry Marionberry Fruit Spread with a couple tablespoons of water for a thinner, dippable consistency.
- Assemble the sandwich with your desired amount of swiss cheese and ham slices.
- Preheat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add enough butter to the skillet to fry the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich in the shallow bowl of egg and milk and let sit on one side for 5-10 seconds to soak in the mixture. Flip the sandwich and repeat with the other side.
- Place the sandwich in the hot skillet. Let cook for 3-4 minutes, until the bottom side of the sandwich is golden brown and crisp and the cheese is mostly melted.
- Flip the sandwich and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve the sandwich warm with powdered sugar and Raspberry Marionberry sauce to dip!